Monday, May 21, 2012

What Is An Heirloom?

By definition an heirloom is a valuable object that has belonged to a family for several generations.  When speaking of fruits and vegetables, the valuable objects are seeds, and in some cases they have been in families for generations.  Some say to be considered an heirloom the seed variety must be at least 50 years old, others say it should be 100 years old.  Most will agree that an heirloom plant should be an open-pollinated variety that has been around for a long time because they are valuable to the grower.  Open-pollinated is when the plant is pollinated by insects, birds, wind or other natural means.  The seeds of open-pollinated plants will produce new generations of plants of the same quality as long as they aren't cross-pollinated with other varieties.  Hybrid fruit and vegetable seeds will produce new generations but they will be far inferior to the parent seed. 

I'm adding a link that a friend just sent me, check it out:  Our Dwindling Food Variety

When planning my garden, God laid it on my heart to plant heirloom varieties.  I don't know why, I'm still trying to figure it out but that's what I've done.  When speaking to others about what my plans were, God's word was confirmed.  I didn't need confirmation but I got it anyway.  I started research and planning on my heirloom garden.

My absolute favorite resource is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  They have a beautiful catalog with a large variety of heirloom seeds.  They also publish Heirloom Gardener magazine which is a treat for the eyes and the brain.



You can find heirloom seeds in any type of fruit or vegetable you could possibly want.  You can buy seeds through catalogs, websites - even ebay has many offerings.  I bought a lot of mine through Baker Creek, some from stores like Home Depot and Southern States and even more from sellers on ebay.  Take your time and choose varieties that work well in your climate and add in a few that you've never tried.  I decided to plant these little melons, they're called Rich Sweetness Melon 132 and they only weigh about 1/4 lb. when ripe.  I can't wait to try one!


I'm also growing Tomatillos for the first time ever.  I've never even eaten a tomatillo but I hear they make great salsa!


I've also planted the old reliables such as beefsteak tomatoes, zucchini & squash, carrots & beets and many others.  I'm looking forward to a summer full of fresh veggies.

What do you have in your garden this year?


4 comments:

  1. Strawberries, broccoli, peas, and 3 carrots. I planted a bunch of carrots early but they didn't sprout :( I plan to plant tomatoes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I have strawberries that I planted last year and they are producing like crazy. This is also my first time growing broccoli so I'm not real sure what it's supposed to look like and how it grows, but it's growing. If you need tomato plants, I have a few beefsteak and morning sun (yellow cherry) and couple tomatillo plants.

      Delete
  2. I am very interested in heirloom seeds but have found a lot of info to be confusing so thank you for providing some background on these. Were you able to locate any heirlooms whose origins can be traced specifically to the Mid Atlantic region of the U.S.? If so, which ones? I have noticed that some will even mention a specific state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna, I asked Stacey at Mid-Atlantic Gardening ( http://midatlanticgardening.com/) and she suggested Southern Exposure Seed (http://www.southernexposure.com/). I just checked out their website and I'm going to check out their catalog, looks like they have info on individual seeds and what area they work in. Check it out!

      Delete