Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Raised Beds - From the Ground Up

Making a raised bed is very simple.  I made most of mine with no help at all, but I love putting stuff together.  Whatever your skill level, this is pretty basic stuff. 

I bought some 1 x 6 x 8' rough sawn oak boards from a sawmill down the street for $3.50 each.  I also asked them to cut them in half for me, and they did - at no extra cost!  You can use any type of wood you like, I'm hoping the oak will hold up better than an untreated pine board.  I didn't want to use pressure treated wood for my beds since I'm going for the whole organic thing.  My beds are 4' x 8', you can make yours any size you like, depending on your space and needs.   

You will need for this job:  Drill or screwdriver, wood deck screws or nails, drill bit to match the screws (if using), 1x6 boards cut to size, 6" wood blocks (I used 2x4, you can use 2x2, 2x3, whatever you have laying around), hammer, (if using nails), pencil (cuz you look like you know what you're doing when you have one behind your ear) and a little bit of patience.  Sometimes it's nice to have an extra pair of hands to help also.

Check out this 3 minute video from the University of Maryland Extension.  This video inspired me to make my beds because they make it look so simple - and it really is that simple.  The website is chock full of great information, too.  



Tips from a pro (haha!):
 - Lay out your boards and make sure they are the same length (this is important). 
 - Pre-drill your holes, especially if you're using screws. 
 - If you're making more than one bed you will want to invest in a drill if you don't already have one.  If you're only making one bed and/or using nails, it isn't necessary - it will just make the job easier. 
 - Assemble your box, then add your support blocks last. 

Wasn't that easy?  You did it in 3 minutes right?  Just like the video?  Take your time, they don't have to be perfect - you're filling them with dirt!

I wish I had taken more pictures while assembling the beds, I didn't know at the time I would be blogging or I would've had more detail pics. I think the video does a good job explaining everything and there aren't a lot of steps.

Here are some pics of my beds I put together:   



Lay out your boards and check the length!
Did I mention how important this is??

Finished box!

Four done!


Ten beds full of dirt, ready for seeds/plants and
 fenced to keep those pesky dogs (and other critters) out.

Let me know if you've made your own raised beds or if you decide to, let me know how it goes.  I'd love to hear about your experience.









6 comments:

  1. I'm curious. Did you just dump the dirt on top of the grass, dig down, or put down a weed blocker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!!! thanks for the tutorial! Question: what is the advantage to having a "raised" bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - I put layers of newspaper down on top to help kill the grass, then the dirt.
    Jamie - easier to weed, using the square foot gardening method you get better use of the space you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The benefit of a raised bed is you can start fresh, weed free, grub free, it holds heat better and moisture (edges keep it from running off too quickly), it helps keep small animals out (you can line bottom with chicken wire if you have moles/voles), plus you don't have to bend down as far to weed or harvest your veggies. They are also great for disabled individuals who are in wheelchairs. You can make the raised beds as high as you want for comfort.

    I've made 2 4' x 8' raised beds similiar to yours, but I used untreated pine and used wider boards which is necessary for root veggies like carrots, etc., unless you remove the grass, till and amend the soil, which is a lot of manual labor (no tiller here!). One box is 10" high and the other 12". The last one was on a slope, which was tricky getting it (mostly) level across the top. After I made it I decided I wanted to move it a couple of feet and realized the ground was not the same dimensions so I had to move it back and filled it with miracle grow moisture control, manure & peat. I didn't think I had time to make adjustments at the time, but weeks later I still haven't been able to plant my tomatoes! Between traveling, family events, and rain it just hasn't happened. Hopefully if the rain stops by the morning they will get planted tomorrow evening. The first one I spent about 4 hrs digging the ground up, which was hard Virginia red clay and then had to hall away the heavy clumps of grass. Not fun and way too much work! This time I was smart and lined the bottom with wet newspapers (edge to edge overlapping) on top of the grass to prevent grass and weeds from coming through. This doesn't allow the roots to go under the ground though, which is why this box is 2" deeper than the last. It was SO worth it! I'm planting sweet peas, green beans, carrots, corn (16 stalks), cucumbers, sweet bell peppers (green, red & rainbow!), my oregano is already fully grown from last year and I will line marigolds around the outter edge to help ward off critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wondeful Jen, I just bought shorter carrots - perhaps in the future I will add deeper boxes. I have not put my tomatoes in yet either - hoping to get it done this week, they are so ready. I need to put up another fence before I can put the tomatoes in. The paper should eventually disintegrate and allow roots to go deeper.

      Delete
  5. I am so proud of you. Thanks for sharing. And thanks to your friend, Jen, too.

    ReplyDelete