Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Strawberry Jammin'!

I have been making strawberry jam for more than 10 years.  I've tried full sugar, no sugar, sweetened with fruit juice and finally decided the best recipe for us is half sugar.  My family agrees with me and that's the only opinion that really matters because they are the people that eat it. 


Yesterday I picked up 12 lbs. of strawberries from my Mom who got them on sale at Aldi grocery store for $1.49/lb.  While I do grow strawberries, the quantity you need for jam just isn't popping up in my garden every day so I still buy them.  The berries she bought me were soft and fragrant - almost like I did grow them. 



I basically follow the recipe and instructions inside the pectin package except I use 4 lbs. of berries, instead of 3. You get about 2 cups of chopped berries per lb. 


The first thing I do when making jam is gather all my supplies, it's a pain when you get to a critical point and don't have what you need.


You will need:  Large pot for cooking jam (8 quart stock pot is good)
                          Food processor (optional)
                          10 Canning jars, lids and rings
                          Pan for sterilizing jars (roasting pan works nicely)
                          Magnetic lid lifter, jar lifter, funnel, spatula, ladle & spoon
                          4 lbs. Strawberries, *Sure Jell No Sugar Needed pectin, 4 c. Sugar,
                          Damp towel for wiping off jars
                          Strawberry huller      
                    
                      

The first thing you need to do is wash your jars, lids and rings in hot, soapy water and get them in the pan.  If I'm using half pints I can usually get 6 at a time in the pan and I add more as I take them out.  This recipe will make 8-10 half pints.  Set your pan on a burner and get it going at a medium heat, when it starts to bubble a little you can turn it down some.  This pan is heavy and I've killed 2 burners on my stove already because of the weight.  It's also good to keep hot water on hand so you can add to the pan as it evaporates.  I use my tea kettle and keep it hot.  Don't add cold water, it will crack your jars!  Here's what my pan usually looks like:

<><><><>
I have some pint jars in here so I can't fit as many.
After you get that on the stove you want to start cleaning your strawberries. Rinse and hull them and put them in the food processor.

Make sure you get this part out of your berries!
Strawberry huller.



 
It isn't necessary to have a food processor and if you buy fresh strawberries that are soft you can just mash them with a potato masher.  If using store bought berries, they tend to be a bit hard so you will need to chop them or use your food processor or blender. If your berries seem a bit dry, add 1/2 c. water.  You don't want strawberry juice, just a nice chop. Mine are never uniform and I like it that way, I mix a fine chop with chunks and that suits us fine.  You can do whatever you like, it's your jam!
Dump your chopped berries into your pot.  Mix 1/4 c. sugar with the pectin and dump that in and mix it up.  I also add about 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter to keep the foam down.  You will still get some foam but it won't be as much.  Heat on medium-medium high, stirring frequently, till you reach a full rolling boil (when boiling does not stop while you are stirring).  After it comes to a full rolling boil, add the sugar and stir until it's all disolved then back again to a rolling boil.  Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly, then remove from heat.  You now have strawberry jam.

Time to get that yummy stuff into jars! 


Using your jar lifter, carefully pick up a jar out of your pan and dump the water out - make sure it doesn't run down your arm, this hurts (trust me, I know).  Put your funnel on top and ladle in jam to about 1/4" from the top.  Take your damp towel and wipe the rim of the jar so there is no jam residue and it's nice and clean.


Now grab your handy, dandy magnetic jar lifter and pull a lid out of the pan and gently place it on top of the jar.  Next grab a ring, place it on top and screw it down - not too tight, just snug.  You may need to hold the jar for this - use your jar lifter or the damp towel so you don't burn your hand.  Repeat this until your jam is all packed up nice and neat in pretty little jars.

Now you can do your hot water bath (if you want).  I don't use a hot water bath for my jams, the jars seal themselves.  If they don't seal (if the pop-up button in the middle of the lid stays up) I just put them in the fridge or give them away and tell the person to refrigerate it and use it right away.  I don't sell my jam so I don't feel compelled to do this step.
Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda J. Amendt is my all-time favorite book that helped me get started making jam and jelly.  It's the only one I have ever needed and the only one I own.  The author does a great job explaining everything.  After experimenting a bit I've found that simple jam works best for us but there are some great recipes in this book that are nice for gift giving. 
So, are you ready to make some jam? 

*Sure Jell No Sugar Pectin is my preferred brand.  I recently tried the Ball Low or No Sugar Needed Pectin and have had similar results but I still prefer the Sure Jell.  Try a few different kinds and see what works best for you.  The only suggestion I have is do not use regular pectin for a low or no sugar jam, it really doesn't work. 

1 comment:

  1. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! DON'T GIVE AWAY YOUR JAMMIN SECRETS, MOTHER!!!

    ReplyDelete