Monday, July 23, 2012

Did Someone Say Zucchini Relish?!?!

It's that time of year again when everyone has an abundance of zucchini in their garden.  About 10 or more years ago, my mother-in-law and I made our first batch of zucchini relish.  We have a recipe passed on to us by my Aunti Ann in-law.  This stuff has a strange cult following, the people who love it, really, really love it.  Two years ago I had a friend actually buy me zucchini to make some relish because she had to have her fix.  I have to admit, it's pretty good stuff.  We eat it on just about everything - ham, chicken, turkey, burgers, salmon - it's all good.

So, to start out, you need to get yourself a 50 year old food processor.  Yup!  Everytime I make relish I have to use this food processor, my new, fancy food processor just doesn't get it done like this one.


My Mother-In-Law's Food Processor
(She received it as a wedding gift)

Here is the ingredient list. I always go over and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but this is a good place to start.

10 C. Shredded Zucchini
4 C. Thin Sliced Onions
1 Lg. Green Pepper Chopped
3 T. Salt


John shredding the zucchini


Put all this stuff in a large bowl, cover with water and let it sit overnight.



That food processor makes the best shreds!


Green Pepper!

Onion!











Zucchini mixture covered with water.


2.5 C. Cider Vinegar
5 C. Sugar
1 T. Black Pepper (you can adjust to your taste)
1 t. Tumeric
1 T. Dry Mustard
2 t. Celery Seed

The next day, drain  your zucchini and  put it in a large pot with the above ingredients.  Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. 




Fill sterile jars and seal.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy - right?!?! 


Voila!  Zucchini Relish!


No comments:

Post a Comment